Perfect time to play with my new toys.
I just spun up my own virtual server on Amazon AWS Lightsail.
Just amazing how fast and easy that is...literally takes just a few minutes:
- go to AWS Lightsail (with a valid AWS account)
- pick your instance Image (plain OS with/without stack like Wordpress, NGINX...)
- choose the plan (I picked the 5US$ one)
- select a Name for your instance
- click on CREATE
- around a minute later you can access your own VPS via SSH in the browser. Whoa!
As I wanted to setup a simple web server and reverse Proxy I chose to manually install NGINX (the pre-packaged Comes with PHP and many other goodies I don't need. yet.).
- install NGINX (sudo apt-get install nginx)
- update the HTML pages in the default Location
- install GOACCESS.IO to analyze the web logs
- setup a cron-job to update the GOACCESS html report every 10 minutes
- create a DNS-record in my own Domain (aws.gemelli2day.com)
- boom - ready: my own static Website hosted on my own virtual private Server!
And what took the longest? Exactly, the Content:
Picking a new HTML5 template and adding some text/content.
Setting up a reverse proxy with NGINX and port forwarding to another NGINX instance...
Finetuning the subdomain/Proxy configuration...
Let's see how this works out...maybe time to retire my Homepage that is still hosted on Google App Engine.
But then...Hosting a few static pages (and reverse proxying)